May 8, 2013

Creativity Cripples - Ergonomics and Whatnot...

I will be forced to keep this post short unfortunately, as my hands and wrists have been aflame lately due to the massive amount of writing I have been doing and the poor posture I do it with (it's not my fault I write on the sofa, it is too comfy for it's own good).

Essentially, I have been writing a lot over the past few months with my poor posture and ergonomics, and I began to notice pains developing in my hands and arms. I decided to stop using a computer for ten days in order to let my hands heal from the repetitive strain. For some reason (which I think is unfair), after ten days the pain has continued, and after seeing a doctor his recommendation was to take lots of advil, put icy-hot cream on, and wait it out...for up to two weeks perhaps. Needless to say I am irritated by this, and the fact that I cannot write for a little while is more frustrating than I would have guessed.

Anyway! For those of you who type a lot, be it for a job or hobby, I strongly recommend looking up some hand stretches and exercises that can help prevent that beginnings of inflammation and pain. Furthermore, buy as many wrist-resting, hand-comforting, random ergonomic products as possible, for both the peace of mind and for the alleviation of the strain on the hands. A good website I discovered for some explanation on why our hands can hurt from typing, as well as some stretches we can use to help our hands, is http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1527 There are hundreds of others, but this website is a decent start.

 I will definitely be doing these stretches and resting, and hopefully I can blog more often come the following months...I was given a gluten free chocolate cookie recipe and I believe it is time to make it and share it. However, expect a lull in content. Despite my efforts I do not think I will be able to blog for a time.

-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment